Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tomato Sauce

Yesterday, a quick trip out to my garden to grab some greens for my juice turned into a giant tomato-picking expedition, and I came back into the house with 20 giant, red, ripe tomatoes. I did not want to put a single one to waste, but I knew I was not going to eat 20 tomatoes in a few days. So I researched many recipes on home made tomato sauce. I got the basic idea, and then decided to basically make it up on my own! The results were wonderful. Here is my version of homemade tomato sauce.

Tomato Sauce

  • 20 Fresh Tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 4 cloves, minced Garlic
  • 1 small onion, diced Onion
  • ¼ cup Basil - chopped
  • Salt and black pepper


1. Cut the stem area out of each tomato, and cut an x into the bottom. Boil a large pot of water. Place tomato in the water for 30-60 seconds until the skin begins to peel back. Remove from the water and immediately blanch in ice water to stop the cooking process. Then peel off the skin.
2. Remove the seeds and water from each tomato. Then put the remaining meat of the tomatoes into a blender or food processor for 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
3. On the stove, heat the olive oil, then add onions, cooking until soft. Add garlic and saute for a minute. Then add the tomato puree. Stir and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and allow to reduce for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and use with any cooking. Store in the refrigerator for a week or the freezer for up to 6 months.


Tomatoes with the stems and bottoms cut

Blanching in ice water after being boiled

Removing seeds and juice
Pureeing the tomatoes in the blender

No comments:

Post a Comment